After building the Prusa i3 Mk3 3D printer with the help of my daughter, I discovered that the most difficult part in 3D printing is making 3D models from scratch. Although I have made 3D models for use with CNC projects, I had never made a design using Autodesk fusion 360. There was a big learning curve as I went from using a program like Aspire vectric, to fusion 360.
Building the Prusa i3 Mk3 printer and then taking a pre-made 3d file to print is relatively easy to do. The Prusa instructions included with printer are well documented, making all the steps easy to follow and resulting in a good first printout. I initially thought it would be difficult to print; like the time when I used my Shapeoko 2 CNC machine for the first time. However, I was amazed at how easy it was to use.
After spending some time learning Autodesk fusion 360, I began on the project shown above. I designed a sleeve that holds a wireless remote and allows me to mount the remote to a wall. I chose to learn fusion 360 because of the various recommendations from users and available online tutorials. So far, it has taken me more time to learn how to make a 3d model in this software than when I learnt to use Aspire for CNC projects. I had hoped that I could simply leverage what I learnt from using the Aspire software, but making CNC files and 3D printing files are two different things.
After creating the 3D file, I used PrusaControl to make the g-code file which the 3D printer could understand. At this point, I was happy to simply drag and drop and make a few selections in the program without having to worry about more advanced settings. I was eager to send my project to the printer and see how it would turn out, since my project design and dimensions were un-tested. PrusaControl made it so easy to generate g-code and resulted in a good printout.
- Display your quick release steering wheels with this 3D printed wall mount - October 26, 2022
- 3d printed louver vent for cabinet ventilation 200 x 200 mm fan - October 26, 2022
- 1970s American old farm truck restomod with rusted hood - April 6, 2021
- Overland SUV 4×4 luxury offroad vector illustration - March 31, 2021
- 1971 notchback coupe GT, with gold wheels vector illustration - March 31, 2021
- JDM 80s classic SUV 4×4 cruiser for overlanding - March 29, 2021